The Pardon Unit is responsible for processing investigations for Voter Rights Restoration, Pardons and Remissions of Fines and Forfeitures.

To make application for one of the above, an applicant may apply by one of the following methods:

1)        Contacting the local State Probation and Parole Office in the area the applicant lives.

2)        Contacting the Board of Pardons and Paroles by telephone at (334) 353-7206 to speak with Pardon Unit Staff.

3)        Contacting the Board of Pardons and Paroles in writing at P. O. Box 302405, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-2405

 The request should include all of the following information:

a)      Name under which convicted

b)      True name

c)      Sex and race

d)      Date of birth

e)      Social Security Number

f)       AIS# (Alabama Prison #), if you have one

g)      Current physical address including county

h)      Current mailing address if different from physical address

i)        Indicate if the conviction was a State or Federal Conviction

j)        Home telephone number, including area code

k)     Work or alternate telephone number, including area code

l)        Complete list of convictions, county of convictions and year of convictions

NOTE:  The applicant should indicate if they are only interested in voting rights or both voting rights and a pardon.  If the applicant is interested in a pardon, he/she should indicate if he/she needs a misdemeanor pardoned for purposes of obtaining a license (such as bonding or nursing, etc).  If this is not indicated, it will be assumed that the applicant is only interested in having felony convictions pardoned.


 All applicants are not eligible for voter rights restoration.  To be eligible for voter rights to be restored, the applicant cannot have convictions listed below:

In addition, the applicant must not have any pending felony cases, must not owe any court ordered monies on disqualifying cases, must not owe any supervision fees, and must not be under sentence (off of probation, parole, not incarcerated, etc).

If the applicant meets the criteria, an investigation will be completed and a voter right restoration certificate will be issued.

Please note that due to a recent Attorney General opinion, a person does not lose voting rights unless the felony conviction involves moral turpitude.  Our agency has determined that Felony DUI and Possession of Drugs do not involve moral turpitude.