Q: If parole is granted when is the expected release date?

A: We cannot give an exact date but you may call 1-334-353-7771 on Wednesday afternoon for the releases scheduled for the following Monday.

Q What would slow down an inmate’s release?

A: Unsatisfactory home and/or job plan.
     Out-of -state home and job plan.
     Needing to submit aftercare plan and/or mental health program.
     Required to attend substance abuse program before release.
     Sex offenders require thirty (30) day notification. (Community Notification Act)
     Requirement to attend halfway house.

Q Will the inmate be present at the hearing?

A: No, the inmate is not allowed to attend.

Q If an inmate is serving a split sentence, is he eligible for parole?

A: No, if the split sentence is the only case he has. However, if he has other cases, he would be eligible after the mandatory time of the split is completed, unless the split sentence is consecutive.

Q How can I get someone transferred to another institution?

A: The Board of Pardons and Paroles does not transfer inmates, this is handled by the Department of Corrections. They can be reached at (334) 353-9500.

Q How can I get someone on work release, SIR, or PDL?

A: The Board of Pardons and Paroles does not place inmates on work release, SIR, or PDL. This is handled by the Department of Corrections. They can be reached at (334) 353-9500.

Q If I have a disability and wish to attend a parole hearing is assistance available?

A: Yes, if you have a disability and need special assistance, contact (334) 353-3480 or for hearing impaired (334) 242-0110.

Q When is a person eligible to apply for a pardon with restoration of civil and political rights in Alabama?

A: Upon the completion of a sentence or after a person has completed 3 consecutive years of successful Alabama parole. Persons still under sentence and not having completed 3 years of successful parole may apply for a pardon, but it must be based on innocence and requires the approval of the sentencing court or prosecuting District Attorney. An individual placed on supervised or unsupervised probation may apply for a pardon after completion of their probationary period.

Q How do I apply for a pardon?

A: A request for a pardon can be made by writing the Board of Pardons and Paroles at P O Box 302405, Montgomery AL 36130-2405. The request should include all of the following information:
1)     Name under which convicted
2)     True Name
3)     Sex and race
4)     Date of birth
5)     Social Security Number
6)     AIS# (Alabama Prison number), if you have one
7)     Current physical address including county
8)     Current mailing address, if different
9)     Indicate if the conviction was a State or Federal Conviction
10)   Home telephone number
11)   Work telephone number, if you have one
12)   Complete list of charges, county(s) of conviction and year(s) of conviction.

Q What is involved in the pardon process?

A: Once a request is received, it will be assigned to a probation officer for the completion of an investigation. The investigation will include current information on the applicant's home situation, job status, and an updated criminal arrest record, written references and other information as warranted. Once the investigation is complete, a hearing will be set before the Parole Board. Required notification will be sent to the victim, certain officials in the jurisdiction of the conviction, and the applicant. Once all required parties are notified, a hearing will be held before the Parole Board and a decision will be made to grant or deny the pardon request.

Q Are records of conviction destroyed in cases where a pardon is granted with a restoration of civil and political rights?

A: No. Alabama does not expunge records for felony convictions. The arrest and conviction will continue to show up when a criminal history is run. It is important to keep a copy of your pardon in case it is ever requested.

Q If the Parole Board grants a pardon, does that restore all of my rights?

A: Not necessarily. The Board may grant a full pardon, which restores all rights, or they may grant a pardon with restrictions. The Board may restrict the right to possess a firearm and/or they may require that a person convicted of a sex offense continue to comply with all sex offender restrictions. They may also not relieve an offender of the consequences of the habitual offender act. The Board has the discretion to place other restrictions as deemed appropriate.

Q Does Alabama accept applications for pardons with restoration of civil and political rights for individuals with a federal conviction?

A: Yes, if the sentence is complete. A pardon with restoration of civil and political rights may be granted to applicants who reside in Alabama. If the applicant resides in another state, we recommend that they apply in the state of residence. A pardon from Alabama on a federal case is only good in Alabama.